latest DSp board has 4 stepper driver connector

waltfl

latest DSp board has 4 stepper driver connector

Post by waltfl »

Hi
I just got the new DSP board from marco and see that the new borad has 4 stepper driver connector which one should be used for the X - and Y axis??
the previous board had only 2 connector and the axis did work fine but now the y stepper does not work right or at all just try to start and then makes a wining sound. the limit switches are fine .
with this new card I have to start over again and I was happy that with the old defective card everythings did work with the display bottons now is not .
maybe sombody can help.
thanks
walt
Gadroc

Re: latest DSp board has 4 stepper driver connector

Post by Gadroc »

If you look at this picture the stepper outputs from left to right are X, Y, Z and U.

You description of the Y stepper sounds like your pulse unit is set wrong. With your DSP hooked up to the computer (either USB or network) open LaserCad and select Options then System Options from the menu bar. Now select manufacturer parameters from the list on the left.

Next (and this is important) click on the read button. These parameters are stored on the DSP itself on not on the computer and clicking read pulls them from the DSP. These numbers default to 3.7 which is for an 8000 steps per inch machine and is likely why your steppers is chattering. Use the following numbers as a guide to set the initial numbers.
1000 Steps Per Inch = 25.4
2000 Steps Per Inch = 12.7
4000 Steps Per Inch = 6.3
Once you have changed the Pule Unit click on write to save them to the DSP.

Once your steppers are moving properly you can calibrate them using Tim Wehr's excellent guide found here. Tim's guide instructs you to load his config settings which you can't do as the 2012 DSP has different parameters. Just use the numbers I have above instead of opening his config file. I would highly recommend reading through it before even doing the above.

Return to “DSP X7”