Element E5 limit switches not working, faulty DSP?

Dennis1979

Element E5 limit switches not working, faulty DSP?

Post by Dennis1979 »

Hi all,

I completed my K40 conversion with the Element E5 DSP controller.

I wired the DSP according the schematics on this site. For me (an engineer) not a big problem, only time consuming.

It looks like that the DSP is not 'sensing' the limit switches. The laser head carriage is bumping to the switches and after 5 seconds of very hard bumping it stops. This is not normal to me. I wired the switches according the schematic (using 2 shielded wires). the X and Y switches are (Normal Open) connected to the GND and X and Y limit switch pins on the DSP. Measuring with a multi-meter shows that the switches are functioning fine.
Also I ruled out interference problems with the stepper motor wires.

If I measure the pins of the limit switches on the DSP controller (without switches connected) I get approx. 100mv between GND and the X and Y limit switch pins. on the DSP. When measuring the both Z (- and +) with GND I get 24v and 5v. Is this normal, or is my newly bought DSP defective?

Dennis
Tech_Marco

Re: Element E5 limit switches not working, faulty DSP?

Post by Tech_Marco »

It needs Normally Opened limit switch to work with. Did you perform continuity check?
You may test the limit switch port without limit switches in used. Just use two wires and perform the test.
Set the laser head in the middle of the bed and allow time to shut off if manual triggering didn't work

Marco
Dennis1979

Post by Dennis1979 »

Hi Marco,

Thank you for your reply.

On the DSP I shorted the both the X and Y and GND limit switch pins without using the switches them selves. It still doesn't work right. The dsp is not sensing the limit switch signal. Do you have more suggestions which things I should check next?

Other functions of the DSP are working fine, laser output is good, but the DSP is not sensing the limit switches. I recorded a movie after shorting the GND,X and Y pins on the DSP, so you can see what is happening:

https://youtu.be/LBmZzLz0IDQ
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Please post manufacturer parameters and user parameters for review

BTW, acceleration seems not right because the moment seems hesitate

Marco
Dennis1979

Post by Dennis1979 »

I included the screenshots with this reply.

It could be that the acceleration settings are not correct anymore. I started with the factory setting and I have tried almost every setting to get the limit switches working. My working space (x and y range) 345 x 260mm is bigger than factory standard (it took me a few days of thinking, measuring, cutting and fine tuning.) The actual working space in my K40 is a bit bigger.
Attachments
Work space
Work space
System settings
System settings
Manufacturer parameters
Manufacturer parameters
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

By looking at the parameters, I saw nothing wrong beside the max acceleration. But that doesn't do anything to the limit at all
If you double check the limit switch and the limit port and confirmed that it is not functioning, please send it back to us for diagnostic.

Thanks
Marco
Dennis1979

Post by Dennis1979 »

Hi Marco,

I double checked the limit switches, wiring and tested the limit switch pin connections on the DSP, but no luck... I have send the DSP to you by airmail, I will send you a pm about it,

Dennis

Return to “DSP E5”