Engraving speed

Freddie

Engraving speed

Post by Freddie »

I installed a T9 controller on my 600x 900 80 watt laser engraver a while ago. I was able to set the pulse units to get dimensional accuracy. No matter what I set the engraving speed to, the x axis only moves at a maximum about 75 mm/s based on a 2 second motion to move across a 6” engraving. It will move slower, but not faster. I have an identical laser with an old controller that will engrave at 400mm. I tried to change the user settings to match the older Controller settings, and when I hit the save parameters button, it appears to load them. Nothing changes on the speed, and when I check the parameters, they have reverted to the original ones. What am I doing wrong?
How can I speed up the engraving speed?
I noticed the old controller uses a pulse unit of .001875 and the T9 uses 6.375. This seems very odd to me, but the 6.375 gives me accurate cuts. Does that make sense? Identical stepper motors on both machines. The older controller is set in inches instead of mm, but shouldn’t effect the pulses per revolution.
Last edited by Freddie on Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freddie

Re: Engraving speed

Post by Freddie »

Also, when I download a file to the machine controller, it doesn’t keep the speed and power settings. The controller retains whatever settings I used on a previous cut or engraving.
leo19

Post by leo19 »

Your T9 is exhibiting an interesting behavior, is this issue something that was affecting your controller right from the beginning or was it something that was developed over time? To your first issue, when you go to System Parameters and take a look at your x and y-axis. What are their denoted Max_Speed? This potentially is the root of your issue.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Freddie wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:47 pm I installed a T9 controller on my 600x 900 80 watt laser engraver a while ago. I was able to set the pulse units to get dimensional accuracy. No matter what
Can you post the parameters here for review? For 'um', it can't be less than 1. The motor micro-stepping should set to 4000~6400. Our machines are all having miro-stepping set to 5000 where um range from 4 to 9 in general.

Marco
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

My pulse unit is 5.632225 on x axis, Y is 5.603145. At those pulse settings, the size of cut or engraving is accurate. I get a 254mm x 254mm square cut on a 10'x10" drawn square. Where can I find the um setting or the micro stepping setting? Leo19, it has done this since the beginning. My max speed is set at 800 for x and y.
Today, when I try to send a file to the laser controller, it will not load. Showed 87% progress at first, after resetting the software and laser, it stays on 0% with a 0% loading speed. It seems like the software isn't communicating with the controller. I reloaded the LightObject software again, but no change. I can read the settings from the software, change settings, etc, so it communicates ok there, but I can't load files. I tried to use UD files on a thumb drive, but the controller can't find them. I deleted several job files on the controller to make room, but that didn't help. I've reset several times, but no improvement.
Could the controller have failed?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

It seems that corrupted files may be the cause. Use the 'Format' function from the software to clean up the controller memory seems necessary
Click the "Download" button, then click "Format". You don't want to change your 'um' if it cut precisely.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Marco, I was just reading the manual and was coming here to ask if formatting the controller memory might help... I'll try that tomorrow, thanks. I never did get the speed up on engravings, but I can live with that.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Marco, that fixed it. I'll make a habit of cleaning up my old files on the controller more often. After all, I have the important files on a thumb drive anyway... Thank you.

Return to “DSP T9”