Double image

robpardee

Double image

Post by robpardee »

Hello, I have a rebuilt K40, I took out all original components as far as controlling the laser goes and replaced it with the new controls and the LO-X7. I've gotten everything working well except one issue. When engraving using X_Swing I get a double image, I've fixed this by selecting X_Unilateralism however it is way slower, twice the time and I still have an issue. When I do a combination engrave then cut it is still misaligned, the engraved portion ends up where I expect but the cut is off by the same amount as if I had it set to X_swing. All the dimensions are coming out correctly when lasering so the steps are programmed correctly into the LO-X7 the belt for the X axis is tight and I see and hear no slipping of the belt when the laser is moving. It just seems to be misjudging when to fire the laser when the X Stepper is pulling the head towards itself and accurate when pushing it away.

Any thoughts?
Tech_Marco

Re: Double image

Post by Tech_Marco »

I don't think that it is anything to do with the controller.It is more likely that the beam is hitting the laser tip or a damage/dirty lens/mirror. You may want to check 1.)the alignment, 2.) mirror or lens 3.) laser tip

Post video or picture may help me to troubleshoot your issue better.

Marco
robpardee

Post by robpardee »

Hey Marco, I'm pretty sure it isn't any of those things. I've made sure they are all clean and not damaged as far as lenses and mirrors. This only happens when the head moves towards the stepper motor driving the X axis. I've attached a picture of an acrylic piece that I made this week using the X_Swing method of engraving. You can see how there are two accurate but shifted images that should be lined up when engraving together.

If you would like I can film a video and post it to YouTube then share it if needed.
Attachments
IMG_20190815_180206.jpg
robpardee

Post by robpardee »

Here are two more pictures. One with what it's supposed to look like on the PC and what it actually does. This was supposed to be an engrave then cut Operation.
Attachments
IMG_20190815_182535.jpg
IMG_20190815_182540.jpg
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

How fast did you run on engraving? What is the acceleration in the parameters setup.
I guess you won't get double image if you do low power cutting. What is the motordriver microstepping? Also, what is current setting?
robpardee

Post by robpardee »

Here are some screenshots of the settings in the laser. For the examples I have already provided I ran at 250mm/s for the engraving. I've never actually tried running an engraving at a slower speed than 200mm/s because it's really slow then but I may have to see if that makes a difference.
Attachments
settings Laser.PNG
settings Laser.PNG (55.59 KiB) Viewed 29731 times
settings 2 Laser.PNG
settings 2 Laser.PNG (45.5 KiB) Viewed 29731 times
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Try this:
Space_jerk to 40,000
Cut_jerk: 25,000
Speed factor: 1.5

Also, cut a square 50mm x 50mm with low power, say Max: 12%, Min10% , speed: 100mm/s. Post screenshot here

Marco
robpardee

Post by robpardee »

OK Marco, Here are the results on cardboard. I did the box as requested first on the left. It measured exactly 50mm x 50mm. Then I did an engrave and cut function on the right which shifted again as you can see the two squares are overlapped and they shouldn't have been. The text has also been moved to the right of the box it cut.
Attachments
IMG_20190821_191810.jpg
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

If it is not a loose lens or mirror, it could be the belt or motor issue.

What if you do engrave in 'Y' (up/dn )direction but not in 'X' (left <> right)?

I guess, if you do very slow engraving, the shit may be reduced. If that is the case, I'm sure that it is a hardware issue

Marco
robpardee

Post by robpardee »

Alright Marco, First thanks for taking the time to help me. Second, Here is a test "T" going in the Y direction. As you can see the error is exactly the same but now it's verticle and of by about the same amount when doing an X engrave. For the heck of it I tried using the Lightburn trial software to see if it made a difference and it doesn't affect anything at all. Even slowing down the engraving still causes the issue to continue by the same degree.
I actually was able to engrave then cut something out by engraing first, then moving the laser head 3 spots (1.5mm) to the right (I think I have the nudge set to .5 mm). Then I sent the cut file to the laser and executed that program and it cut the engraving out perfectly. I Just wish I could figure out how to do this in one program by getting rid of this double image.
Attachments
IMG_20190826_222510.jpg
robpardee

Post by robpardee »

I'm so frustrated at this point. I'm am completely out of ideas and getting to the point that I feel I've wasted time and money buildling this laser because I cannot get a good control over it. It is almost like the laser forgets where it is as the head is moving. I am working on cutting out letters, one at a time. A simple task for any laser and it can't even cut the letters correctly. It starts cutting outside of where it is supposed to then for letters like A with a center it cuts out the center and outside are out of alignment! I'll attach a picture to show it but this all has to be related.
Attachments
IMG_20191029_201059.jpg
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

It is just a simple setting you didn't check. You just need to check "Re-order Object" and select "Inner to Outer" when you do download

Remember you are doing DIY and it is a live project for "learning". If you don't enjoy it, then buy a turnkey machine instead from and save your trouble

Marco
robpardee

Post by robpardee »

Hey Marco, that option has been checked this whole time. I double checked everything to make sure I didn't accidentally unselect it. That is selected, inner to outer is selected, automation set cut director is checked and path run region size: 50 is checked.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Send me a screenshot. Let me check what went wrong

Marco
robpardee

Post by robpardee »

Hi Marco, Just for the record I don't mind a project but my lack of programming background makes something like this difficult to figure out where to go when the laser isn't acting as expected. I was under the impression that having a controller like the x7 would simplify the process. I just need help to figure out what to do to fix this issue, I think it is all related.

It's like the machine isn't keeping correct track of where the laser head is, the more it moves the further off the machine gets. It happens allot where I can move the head around to test things and somehow it loses track of where it's zero is, I will try and run the head to the farthest up and left point on the machine where the mechanical switches and it stops before it gets there as if the machine thinks that it is already at it's home point but it isn't. I'm wondering if the Stepper motors are bad, is that possible? They don't get hot and they run the machine.

As far as the screenshot I attached it, I'm hoping that is what you were looking for.

Thanks for helping me, I really hope I can get things working because at this point I'm not feeling like I can trust the laser to do something as a gift or a paid project.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Return to “DSP X7”