4 axis controller not working

zambranod

4 axis controller not working

Post by zambranod »

I've been testing the 4 axis card that I recently bought and I found some issues:

1.- I plugged the card and connected 1 stepper motor to the X axis. When I try Mach3 to move the motor I can see the axis LED activity turning on and off but the motor doesn't move. There is no power flowing to the motor. I tested it in the other axis with the same result.

2.- The only 5vdc connector that I found in the card (for the control electronics) already has 5 vdc so I don't know why the manual says that I need a sepparate 5V power supply.

3.- When I test the 4 inputs (DB-9 connector) the input for pin 10 and 11 are connected toguether, so when I press the home switch connected to pin 10 it give me also a ESTOP which is connected to input 11 and viceversa.

4.- The apparence of the card is like an used or refurbished card. Didn't I pay for a new one???

I'd like to receive an answer from you before I have to ship it back and claim my money back. Sorry if I sound a little bit mad but that is the way I feel when I pay a lot of money for something that doesn't work as advertised.
Tech_Marco

Re: 4 axis controller not working

Post by Tech_Marco »

First of all, we don't sell used item! If looks a like 'used', then the technician who made this board shoudl be blame.

Second, we got two version of 4-axis, which one do you have. Blue PCB or Red PCB ?
zambranod

Post by zambranod »

Red pcb. If there is any difference it should be posted in the description of the product. I never saw anywhere that there was a "red" and a "blue". The "used look" is not only the solder in the component but the marks left by the screws on the mounting holes (and they where there right after I took it out of the bag).
flandry19

Post by flandry19 »

Hi,

I have a blue board and exactly the same issue. Both power supplies connected, parallel port verified, everything lights up and lights respond to commands, etc, but no power to the stepper motor leads, no action on the stepper motors. Whats up with that? Need diagnostics assistance on the board. Please respond.

Forrest
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Make sure that you have enabled the Parallel port in the system BIOS. Or, change the port address. Then make sure PIN#16 is active low on Mach3 setup
zambranod

Post by zambranod »

active low where? input, output ???? you should be more specific. Why isn't that in the manual?. What about the inputs 10 and 11 that are connected together? is that bad configuration in mach3 too or is it because of the bad quality of the soldering?
flandry19

Post by flandry19 »

Hi,

I am sure that it is not the IO port -- I can toggle individual bits in the port and see the corresponding controller lights go on and off on the board. I can even toggle the relay no problem. There is just no output for any of the stepper motors. A voltmeter on the connectors for the motor windings show zero volts, even when sending repeated step pulses. Same is true for all test combinations of A, ~A, B, ~B, for all four motors, whether connected or not. I know it is not the power supply, as the light for both the logic and the external stepper motor drive are both on. The power supply is rated for plenty amperage as well.

I need this fixed ASAP -- is there anything I can check on the board itself, test points, checks, jumpers missing, switch settings, shorts, etc?

Forrest
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

zambranod wrote:active low where? input, output ???? you should be more specific. Why isn't that in the manual?. What about the inputs 10 and 11 that are connected together? is that bad configuration in mach3 too or is it because of the bad quality of the soldering?
My manual already inlcude the screen shot of the Mach3 setup. Even though the board may not be the same, but the setup is pretty much identical.

Return to “DSP X7”