Suitability of a Stepper Controller

Benjamin B

Suitability of a Stepper Controller

Post by Benjamin B »

Hi all,

I was hoping to make a small business out of my Moshi laser, but after seeing some sketchy behavior, including randomly deciding to home and losing its spot, I decided I couldn't trust it with someone's phone or computer. So, here I am. I've ordered a DSP.

I also ordered two of these high current motor controllers: http://www.lightobject.com/2-Phase-78A- ... -P454.aspx . I bought the high current ones figuring that they'd do the trick if I ever decided to tackle something bigger or a CNC.

However, after ordering, I noticed that they have a minimum current listed at 1amp. My steppers are the stock 42BYGH34907-102. Since there doesn't seem to be a data sheet for them in English, I have no idea what current their rated for.

Any one know if these stepper drivers will work with them?

I see there's some ability to set the current on the drivers. Any thought as to how I should figure out the desired setting?

Thanks,

Ben
Tech_Marco

Re: Suitability of a Stepper Controller

Post by Tech_Marco »

Hello:

I posted the spec of the K40 motor long time ago. I couldn't remember where did I post it. The motor are running 1A or over. The "Y" motor for sure go over 1A and I'm pretty sure about it. I'll double check it later.

FYI, the "X" motor will get very hot if driven by 1A or over by TB6560 motor driver. But the motor driver you bought is much better than TB6560. I did try 1A on 2M415 (smaller version) and I didn't feel the 'heat' coming from the motor at all. What you need to do is to have the machine "ON"and idle. Wait for 30min and sense the temperature over the X. If you don't feel very hot (warm is ok), then it's OK. For TB6560, it will get burn if idle over 30min with 1A or above!

Marco
Benjamin B

Post by Benjamin B »

Thanks for the advice, Marco. I'll give that a try.

For what it's worth, mine isn't the K40. It's the DC-KIII. Although it seems possible that the same motors are used.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Right, those are pretty similiar machine and the motor are (if not identical) very closed.

If possible, send me the model number of the motor and I'll try to find the info for you.
It should have a label attached with it. X and Y should be different though

Marco
Benjamin B

Post by Benjamin B »

Thanks, Marco.

The steppers are:

42BYGH4891039A CW No. 11.11.29

42BYGH34907102 CW No. 11.11.29
Gadroc

Post by Gadroc »

I have the exact same stepper motors on my machine. I'm using the JMC 2M415 stepper controllers that Marco sells and they work perfect.
Benjamin B

Post by Benjamin B »

Thanks for the note Gadroc. Though the fact that your motor drivers, which max out slightly higher than my controller's minimum, work perfectly might be a bad sign for me.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

I searched for web but found no info. So, I send a request to the laser machine manufacturer and here is the reply:

42BYGH4891039A CW No. 11.11.29
Ans: 1.1A

42BYGH34907102 CW No. 11.11.29
Ans: 0.4A

Marco
Benjamin B

Post by Benjamin B »

Thanks, Marco. Much appreciated!

For http://www.lightobject.com/New-version- ... -P460.aspx , can each axis be using 2.5 A or is that the limit for all 5 together?

Also, are the DIR and PUL pins accessible?
Last edited by Benjamin B on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Benjamin B

Post by Benjamin B »

If I were to buy a new stepper motor, what specs do I need to pay attention to (aside from current!) How many degrees per step do I need?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Benjamin B wrote:Thanks, Marco. Much appreciated!

For http://www.lightobject.com/New-version- ... -P460.aspx , can each axis be using 2.5 A or is that the limit for all 5 together?

Also, are the DIR and PUL pins accessible?

Don't use this for DSP controller as there is no input pin for the DSP. This controller is for spindle driven by a parallel port with Mach3, Kcam or, EMC2 software. I don't recommend you to go for this board unless you want to soldering work youself by following the manual from the download area

Marco
Benjamin B

Post by Benjamin B »

Thanks, Marco.

I just bought a ECNC-2M415 controller from you as well. That one will be used for the lower current motor.

I've started setting up the higher current controller. It has dip switch settings for different currents. Do I want to set the RMS or peak current to 1.1A?

Also, did they say anything about the steps per revolution of those motors?
Benjamin B

Post by Benjamin B »

Gadroc wrote:I have the exact same stepper motors on my machine. I'm using the JMC 2M415 stepper controllers that Marco sells and they work perfect.
What are your motor driver settings?
Gadroc

Post by Gadroc »

Benjamin B wrote:
Gadroc wrote:I have the exact same stepper motors on my machine. I'm using the JMC 2M415 stepper controllers that Marco sells and they work perfect.
What are your motor driver settings?
You can find them all in this post.
Benjamin B

Post by Benjamin B »

Thanks for the link, Gadroc. I'll try those settings out for my smaller driver.

For the big one, I'm still left with some questions. My settings options, that are close to 1.1 Amps, are:
Pk. RMS
1.8. 1.3
1.25. 0.9
1.75. 1.25

So it'd be useful to know if that 1.1 is meant to be a peak or an RMS. Marco, could you please ask the company for me?

I'm also wondering what the behavior of the motor controllers is with regards to their peak and RMS currents. What happens if current greater than the RMS is being drawn for a long time? Will the motor only draw 1.1? Or will it take as much as it can get?

Return to “DSP X7”