Best pratices for laser power settings?

designfactore

Best pratices for laser power settings?

Post by designfactore »

Hey All,

So I'm wondering what you guys consider do's and don'ts when it comes to the laser power settings on your LO PR530, especially for cutting.

--do you ever recommend 100% power? I haven't gone over 50%, I've heard that going full power drastically reduces tube life on glass laser tubes, is that true on LightObject machines?

--what power settings do you find yourself using and on what materials and thickness?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Tech_Marco

Re: Best pratices for laser power settings?

Post by Tech_Marco »

Over power is not good for all laser machine, not just for LightObject machine. We locked up the max current for each particular laser tube being installed in our laser machine. So many seller out there but not too many of those seller what to do with the current on the machine they are selling. It is NOTHING wrong to go full power on laser tube but please REMEMBER that full power is NOT equal to 100% on software setting! For example, a 60W will get full power at 22mA and that '%' is running about 65% in software. Unless the LPSU (laser power supply) is set to to 22mA at 100%, otherwise a 60W laser power supply can out put as much as 28mA at 100%. To avoid over current, we set up the max% on the controller so that even though you put 100% on the power setup per layer, you will get 65% (for example).

Regards,
Marco
designfactore

Post by designfactore »

Hi Marco, thanks for the reply, so what you are saying is that my machine will automatically limit it to a safe power range no matter what I have in Lasercad or Lightburn, correct? So I should feel comfortable setting it at 100% in the either software, because the machine will know what it should limit itself to?

So basically if I designate 100%, the machine will go up to its maximum safe limit (which to me is "true"100% anyway). So all I really need to know is that I might not see a difference between 65% in software and 100% in software. Am I understanding correctly?

Thanks Marco, I really appreciate your help
leo19

Post by leo19 »

Hello there,
I just want to say something regarding this post,
1. I don't recommend using 100% of your power every time for every cut if it is not really necessary.
2. Whenever I am trying to make cuts on thicker material especially on a pr530, I always try to stay within 60-75% power of a laser tube. Some types of wood are a little harder so I might have to reduce the speed maybe to 15mm/s to get my machine to cut all the way. My pr530 comes with an mA meter and I always like to keep an eye on it, because this way I can know how much power my tube is exerting on any given time during a cutting or engraving job.
designfactore

Post by designfactore »

Hi Leo,

Thanks! Could you share recommended speed and power from your experience for different material and thicknesses you've used?

I agree, why max out your laser if not needed, so am curious to know your experiences for success, especially on 1/4" acrylic if you've done that successfully.

Marco, am also curious about your further thoughts on this and the previous topic of machine "self throttling" on laser power, thanks!
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

designfactore wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:04 am Marco, am also curious about your further thoughts on this and the previous topic of machine "self throttling" on laser power, thanks!
What is that, "self throttling" ?? :eek:

To Leo: Again ,it is NOTHING wrong to use 100% of the laser power as long as current is limited within safe range. For 850mm laser tube (40W), the max current is 16mA which may output 42~45W. But I'll keep it under 15mA and get 38~40W. Sometimes at 12mA will get full 40W and that will be the current I will stay. Also, do not rely on "%" but the actual flowing current passing through the laser tube

Marco ;)
designfactore

Post by designfactore »

Hi Marco,

Thanks, so could you kindly verify if all of what I've re-copied below is correct based on what you are saying?

"so what you are saying is that my machine will automatically limit it to a safe power range no matter what I have in Lasercad or Lightburn, correct? So I should feel comfortable setting it at 100% in the either software, because the machine will know what it should limit itself to?

So basically if I designate 100%, the machine will go up to its maximum safe limit (which to me is "true"100% anyway). So all I really need to know is that I might not see a difference between 65% in software and 100% in software. Am I understanding correctly?"

Also sounds like your mention of 16 mA max, if I notice it going over, I should back off on the power too?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

I don't know if Lightburn will change the "max %" in the controller setup. Simple test that you can do alone there is to make a cut of something and set power to 100% then pay attention to the current meter. If it is within 16mA then you are fine. If not, then find max % that won't drive the tube over 16mA

Marco
designfactore

Post by designfactore »

Perfect, got it, Thanks for your patience Marco, your help is what makes me glad I got a LO machine!

Return to “LO PR530 Desktop laser machine”