Working out the bugs

Mesa4708

Working out the bugs

Post by Mesa4708 »

Marco,

Thank you for the outstanding directions for modding my Chinese 40W laser. Everything worked on the first power up but I have noticed some bugs that after a few days I think it is time to ask for some advice.

1. The 3 Digit Mini Blue LED DC 100mA Meter is installed and shows a value, but I am not sure what value it is representing. Example if I hold the LASER button down it will climb to like 2.0 on the readout and as it goes up, you can see the effect increase in the object I am lasing. For a 40watt laser any idea on average what should this meter be showing for 80% power, I understand that not all tubes are the same but I am looking for a ballpark number.

2. I installed the Power Z Table/ Bed Kit and it operates but with limitations. I cannot get it to go full travel. I measured the travel it should move approximately 60mm, but it will only travel about 30mm. I have added the travel to the Z/U parameters in RayCam , saved, and downloaded to the DSP X7, but no luck, any ideas. I did check for obstructions.

3. Laser power does not seem to consistent with the controller. I have been using the same medium (1/4" plywood) for testing purposes) and for just engraving one time I can get a decent test one time 40% and then on a different image with the same power I have to crank to 80%. I have been checking my output settings to the controller and made sure my focal length is the same. Is there a setup in RayCam that I need to double check that can cause this?

I would appreciate any help on these questions, the rest is going to be trial and error until I get a handle on what I can do now with the DSP X7.
Tech_Marco

Re: Working out the bugs

Post by Tech_Marco »

Mesa4708 wrote:Marco,

Thank you for the outstanding directions for modding my Chinese 40W laser. Everything worked on the first power up but I have noticed some bugs that after a few days I think it is time to ask for some advice.

1. The 3 Digit Mini Blue LED DC 100mA Meter is installed and shows a value, but I am not sure what value it is representing. Example if I hold the LASER button down it will climb to like 2.0 on the readout and as it goes up, you can see the effect increase in the object I am lasing. For a 40watt laser any idea on average what should this meter be showing for 80% power, I understand that not all tubes are the same but I am looking for a ballpark number.

Ans: For the 32W tube (you call 40W), the max current should never go over 16mA. The fire button is used for testing and power level is adjustable through the control. It it show '2' only, the tube isn't in stable condition yet. For small tube, it need roughly 3~4mA. For larger tube, it take 6~9mA. But there is always exception for some particular brand laser tube.

2. I installed the Power Z Table/ Bed Kit and it operates but with limitations. I cannot get it to go full travel. I measured the travel it should move approximately 60mm, but it will only travel about 30mm. I have added the travel to the Z/U parameters in RayCam , saved, and downloaded to the DSP X7, but no luck, any ideas. I did check for obstructions.

Ans: You need to get a proper 'um' value for the Z table or it runs step without proper scale. But if it runs smooth, then you may 'fool' the card by enter different range for the Z traveling. Remember that Z doesn't need to be precise.

3. Laser power does not seem to consistent with the controller. I have been using the same medium (1/4" plywood) for testing purposes) and for just engraving one time I can get a decent test one time 40% and then on a different image with the same power I have to crank to 80%. I have been checking my output settings to the controller and made sure my focal length is the same. Is there a setup in RayCam that I need to double check that can cause this?

Ans: Check your alignment first. If it is the original laser tube shipped with the laser machine, chance is that the tube is 'dying'. You may run a cut with slow speed but with full power, observe the cutting route see if you can see some go weaker and some go stronger. Then you can tell if the tube is running out of power.

I would appreciate any help on these questions, the rest is going to be trial and error until I get a handle on what I can do now with the DSP X7.
-M
Mesa4708

Re: Working out the bugs

Post by Mesa4708 »

Marcos thank you for the help.

I was able to fix my Z-Table, where my mistake was using the Um value like it did the X & Y as you said. I also increased range to 8000 for travel, I changed the Datum to a positive value, from there I was able to travel the table to the bottom, I then had to Save and reload from there I had it read and then put the datum back to negative. I have full travel and all is good now.

My laser performance was better once I went back to my old factory lens that came with the K40, during my rebuild I replaced the stock mirrors with HQ SI 20mm gold plated lens and a Ten-High 18mm dia. 50.8mm focal length lens. Either I did not have that setup properly or the lens is bad (no deformities noted except looks a little cloudy) but after cleaning up the old lens, I was able to cut through 1/4 plywood in 8 passes at 75% power.

Finally a recommendation to those that are upgrading, I purchased from Amazon a Rule 240 In-Line blower that they had recommended based on others purchases for the K40, Don't bother! After receiving it I had to hook it up to a 12V 5amp source, once I did the motor pulsed instead of having a constant run. After working the problem I decided to scrap the blower and went to Lowes and purchased a 110v 4 in. In-Line duct fan. I plugged into a 4-switch PC-Power Center (fused) that sit next to my case and magic. Smoke in the case removed!

Now to work on my air and laser pointer add ons, any recommendations appreciated!

Return to “Tips and new on the DSP & Software”