Back into glass etching

jjpumphrey

Back into glass etching

Post by jjpumphrey »

Hello all,
I've been upgrading my K40 set up and with my new 600w (lightobject.com) chiller I am able to run all night, well until I run out of beer...
My latest is 'ol glory' done in glass. I have 3 layers, each layer is a different color. The original graphic came from a vector graphics site (purchased) and I used Illustrator CC to work the image so LaserCad can work with it. I save the Illustrator file in a version 8 copy which imports well into LaserCad.
Once in LaserCad, I can set which objects get engraved for each run and with the stock window panes, I am running at 11% power at 100m/sec speed.
The LEDS are silicone glued to the side of the glass and I will be using the TLC-4950 PWM chips to drive the LEDS. With PWM control I have the ability to sequence the LEDs and PWM also gives a power control to help extend the life of the LEDs as I can set intensity levels.
Attached are pics of the current progress. I hope to have the LED drive finished this weekend but you can see where this is going. The sample images only have one LED per layer engaged just for a quick preview.

I'll follow up once the LED drive is complete. :D

jjpumphrey
Attachments
quick sample in regular ambient light
quick sample in regular ambient light
quick sample in darken room
quick sample in darken room
red layer
red layer
blue layer
blue layer
white layer
white layer
Dhart1971

Re: Back into glass etching

Post by Dhart1971 »

That looks really neat!

Sincerely,
Eugene
jjpumphrey

Post by jjpumphrey »

Dhart1971, thank you! :)

I have the beta version assembled, see pics below. I was going to go with a solid backing but with this on my bench, I kinda like the transparency. Make the flag look like it's floating in mid air. Unfortunately you can't see the 3-D effect from the pics.
I ran into a issue with the power regulator that is supporting power for the LEDs. I am at half heat dissipation in open air and if I seal the circuit board up it will get hotter. I have adjusted the PWM parameters of the tcl5940 chips and have a good lighting with the heatsink at ~58 c.
I'm looking for a better heatsink and may just have to install a 2nd 5 volt regulator to help drive the LEDs. Currently there are 32 LEDs.
I do plan to sequence the LEDs to try for a ripple effect as if the wind is gently blowing on the flag, but thats for another weekend.

Well this is just a quick update. I hope to have some time to start building the wood frame this weekend.
Y'all have a great evening! :D
Attachments
IMG_1268.JPG
IMG_1267.JPG
mrsunnylam

Post by mrsunnylam »

This is really cool. I know this post is 2 years old. But it dissent hurt to ask if there is more project like these

Return to “Artwork from DIY'er (share your art design)”