K40 mini rotary. Higher quality made

r3ll1k

Re: K40 mini rotary. Higher quality made

Post by r3ll1k »

Tech_Marco wrote:
r3ll1k wrote:I can't find the wiring diagram for this motor, please advise.

EDIT: Do not purchase this mini rotary, the motor is wired incorrectly. Please refer to the Nema HS datasheet!

There is no absolute rule for wire arrangement for the motor. NEMA stand for the unique size of the motor. You are requesting return for returning the product so RMA# will be issued today. But I don't think that it is appropriate that to tell not to buy on your post while most buyers able to make it works As I mentioned that many parRd here we are selling are DIY and no formal document. You ask if you have any question but instead you negative review the product. You didn't find solution here didn't mean that no support because many folks asked questions throes emails.
Marco, I would like to see which buyers were able to make it work and if they were able to do so with the wiring harness provided. I was not familiar with the wiring pinout for this motor but upon researching it I learned that the wiring harness that Lightobject includes with this attachment will damage the laser engraver as it has damaged mine. I am looking into the options I have available for recourse as it will cost me money to repair the damage caused to my equipment because this item was not wired correctly. I am disappointed that Lightobject would sell this item and not include something as basic as the wiring diagram for the motor. The only reason I can think of as to why it is not included. I have seen people asking about the wiring and pinout for this item but I don't see that you have provided an answer which answers that. If you are aware that people are having issues with this why don't you post a solution on these forums for future customers?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Damage your equipment? I'm wondering how could it be? The mini rotary is just a motor and no matter how you wire it up, it won't damage other components. The motor is bipolar with two coils or 2 pairs wire (A+ A- B+ B-). The plug is 6 pin so there are two pin left unconnected . Even though you was doing it wrong by having wrong connection, it has nothing to do with your board because it will become opened circuit.

By the way, it is the same motor being used for the mini power Z table and sold more than 200x units. So, you're saying that 200x folks here having their system damaged by wrong connection. Point me one if any. Or you can call anyone who bought the power Z table or the mini rotary see if anyone agreed with your claim. I don't mind to support one without electronics background but if you're trying to accuse us because of your own mistake or your faulty or non-standard device, I can't accepted the blame.

Anyway, we issued you a RMA# and you can return it for refund. Sorry we can't make you happy and hopefully you may find a better service provider who can make you more happy.

Marco
NickWL

Post by NickWL »

My LO rotary worked fine straight out of the box; very hard to see how it could damage anything even if incorrectly set up.
I have to say that having watched Marco doing business for a year or two now I have noticed that an awful lot of users try to blame him or his kit for their mistakes. Just saying...
Nick
:roll:
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

The customer called and informed my staff and told that the problem was his driver couldn't delivery enough current to support the motor. May be his board wasn't designed well, either over current or overheated that may damaged his board. But it was nothing to do with our product and we're responsible for that matter. When doing DIY project, one should familiar with the device/parts used for the project he is working but not blaming on us. My staff was upset because he was so rude on him on the phone prior to admitted the problem. Because of that, he spent half day of making video showing that the rotary was working like a charm.

Anyway, we issued him a RMA# and hope that he could find better services provider. We don't want to deal with a hot temper customer.

Marco
Tony1976

Post by Tony1976 »

To be fair I have the same problem when trying to wire up the mini rotary to my k40 it blew my main board (see attached photo). I only attached 2 wires to test and I also did not understand why it blew the board. I think what the poster asked and what I need is to know which pin or which colour wire on the rotary denotes which stepper phase. ie Orange is A+ brown is B- etc. Or even pin 1 (top) is phase A+, Pin 2 (second from top) is A- and so on.
Attachments
Burned board.jpg
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Your board was not design well and blew it. The motor is taken 1.5A to 2.0A current and the board seems not having a driver capable to handle high current without protection circuit. As I said, no matter how you connect it to a motor driver (note, a standard driver), it can't damage the driver. And to be fair, you cant blame on us when applying to a non standard circuit, blew it, then blame on us. If he is fair, he won't asked it to pay him hundred something for his board or yelling at my staff then threaten him by filing a complaint to some legal department.

FYI, the motor on K40 is 0.4A on X and 0.9A on Y. And the motor on our rotary or mini power table is 1.5A to 2A

Marco
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

Strange: i see a burnt spot between point 5 and 6 (+V and GND) Even in case of a shortcircuit, you'd rather blow a trace than this, under normal circumstances.. I think it's more a matter of bad luck, just coincedence and basic electronics (fast and unreliable..) Not to mention ESD while working with electronic (think of the voltages that cause that small electric discharges.. that can be over 1000V easily)
Maybe there was a loose ball of solder, moist or a bad (cold) soldering that caused this..

Even if the motor requires 2A to work well, if the driver doesn't deliver more than 0.7A there won't be a current of more than 0.7A.. Not ideal but it should, at least, work a bit.. Better to place decent stepperdrivers like one of the many Leadshines (or even clones) or Geckodrives. The smaller ones (upto 40V/2A) are real cheap for what they perform..
I'm not a fan of TB6XXX, L296 etc and micro-drivers . They are killed to easily and do not perfom well.

Kees
Tony1976

Post by Tony1976 »

I understand what you said Marco but the rotary is listed as 'ideal for a k40' Now seeing as my board is the one which comes as standard in the k40 the statement is not correct. Maybe if it said ideal for the stepper driver upgraded k40 the advertisement would be correct. Look I am not after returning the rotary I just want it to work on my bog standard k40. And that I'd what I need help with.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Ok, I will fix my ads then

Many folks bought an upgrade kit (DSP) for the K40 would consider buying the mini table and the mini rotary, that was the mean behind it. I didn't expect the K40 was coupling the motor direct to the chip without any protection but simply by direct driven. Even though it is without the optic isolation, it shouldn't blow. May be you should place a small heatsink on top of that driver IC. Remember that the cost of the K40 is extremely low. Whoever is making it will do the most to cut the cost. Heat sink cost 50cents extra.

Anyway, I don't recommend folks to use our mini rotary or the mini Z table on the K40 without upgrade to DSP aso the first step.

I may be able to test a "Baby DSP" prototype in two months. I think it is the best option for K40 folks thinking an upgrade but don't want to spend $500 for the current DSP controller.
That Baby DSP will come without the LCD panel and all controls are done on LaserCad. I am trying to limit the price below $200 and am trying to make it affordable but capable to enjoy the engraving & cutting without the hassle from the devil 'Moshi' board

Marco
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

To add onother remark:
Although this motor works best at about 1.5A, i think, for rotational use, a current of about 0.5A is sufficient as a rotational doesn't need speed or force. Unless you don't tension the belt too much..

Kees
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

You right. Even 0.5A it will spin well. I think the K40 stock board is really not considering the heat that the driver chip generate and got it in trouble. Well, K40 is K40, what can wed say. That "Moshi" board is full of issue and it sells for just $30.

Marco
Tony1976

Post by Tony1976 »

That's not the moshi board that got burnt out. FYI according to the driver spec it's rated to 750mA running 850mA max.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Sorry my fault then, I'm assuming it is "Moshi" for most K40.

The motor of the mini rotary is 1.5A (2A rms). So, it is exceeding the limit that card could handle. For most motor driver, it won't burn even if a motor take more amp that a driver can support. Not only it has shorted circuit protection, it should has over-heated protection as well.

If you ask my opinion, I won't bet on 750mA on that driver without a heat sink attached. Rating is one thing but did the specification mention the *heat sink?

For example, a 2N3055 NPN transistor can output up to 95W. But, without a heatsink attached it can blow even with 10W output. Transistor generated a lot of heat and we need to attach a heatsink to dissipated the heat.

Marco
Tony1976

Post by Tony1976 »

Ok if I'm a dumbass and mess something up I hold my hands up. So the rotary Does work on the standard k40 board pictured above. I got it working now.

However I have another problem. When engraving the rotary moves x3 the distance it should. I use coral laser. Is there a way to sort this out? I could change the gearing but am hoping for a software solution.

Also is there an easy method for reseting the rotary? As right now I have to manually activate the limit switch.
Techgraphix

Post by Techgraphix »

Yes, there is a way to make things easier to work with the rotary.
You need a separate stepperdriver for the rotary-steppermotor and a tiny little board of electronics.
I posted the diagram and PCB-layout somewhere in another topic but i think to start my own topic with this little piece of additional electronics..
The PCB looks like this:
RotaryYPCB.jpg
If there is interest i could start the production. Depending on the costprice of the components i think it will be, roughly, 30-35$

Depending on what kind of controller you have, you might change the values of the Y steps/mm or something like that..
With the AWC608/708C or X7 it is quite easy..

Kees

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”