PSU Upgrade Needed?

Ihrke052

PSU Upgrade Needed?

Post by Ihrke052 »

I have seen several threads about different PSUs and whether or not they need to be upgraded so I apologize for another one but I couldn't find any that looked like mine and I cannot find any information on mine as to what functions it has. Can anyone tell by this image if mine would need to be upgraded in order to upgrade the DSP? I have already purchased the AWC 608 from Marco but I didn't know I needed (possibly) a new PSU to upgrade. The one thing I noticed is that I do not have the giant green resistor. Is that a good sign that maybe mine has the full PWM control needed?
Thanks!
Attachments
PSU_s.jpg
Anzo

Re: PSU Upgrade Needed?

Post by Anzo »

My K40 has the exact same power supply.
It threw me for a loop for a while trying to figure it out (the terminals have no labels!).
I have nearly finished my conversion (just missing a new front panel plate for the AWC 608 display) and so far it DOES work.

This SHOULD be the pinout for the center terminals of the power supply.
K40 Unlabeled Power Supply Center-Group Pinout
K40 Unlabeled Power Supply Center-Group Pinout
psu1aaa.jpg (39.92 KiB) Viewed 5675 times
The left 4 terminals SHOULD be:
L- / G / AC / AC

The right 4 terminals SHOULD be:
24v / G / 5v / L

It is best to 100% confirm these are accurate for yours with a volt-meter/testing!
I don't know if these power supplies follow a certain standard or not, but these are the pin-outs I found that mine was.
Ihrke052

Post by Ihrke052 »

Thanks for the reply and diagram! Greatly appreciated! I'll test mine with a meter just to be certain but this is very helpful to start!
zmocar

Post by zmocar »

I have just received my D40 and will be working on the upgrade. I have the PSU shown in this discussion thread.
Has this been tested for use with the AWC 608 upgrade and is working well? Has Anzo's diagram been verified or in use?

Thanks, looking forward to a useful laser upgrade.
acuralegendz

Post by acuralegendz »

I also have the same power supply, I'm almost finished wiring up the DSP upgrade. I'm a little confused as where to install the - lead that comes off the laser tube. I know it was connected to a switch and also the power meter dial thingy. Mow that i have all of those things disconnected im wondering where it connects to the laser power supply. If I had to guess, it would be the middle Ground plug on the larger connector. I added a pic of where I think it goes, can anyone verify?
Attachments
psu1aaa.jpg
psu1aaa.jpg (59.31 KiB) Viewed 5494 times
Here?
Here?
PSU_s.jpg (152.67 KiB) Viewed 5494 times
jeckardt

Post by jeckardt »

Same power supply that I got with the D40 that I received yesterday. Any further information on compatibility? As of Sept, Anzo said that it seemed to be working for him -- any update?

Armed with the pinout from Anzo, I went through some of the older articles about PS. Found one with a different PS than this but the exact same 4/6/4 connectors with labels that match Anzo's labels. This is what Marko said to that one:
Must have "TTL", and "PWM" input
The one you have doesn't look like it is a PWM power supply. It may work but the result won't be as good as a PWM power supply
Plus, you need to be caution on the connection.

Marco
So maybe this one needs to be replaced as well?
acuralegendz

Post by acuralegendz »

Mines working perfectly.
jeckardt

Post by jeckardt »

That's great news, Acura. How did you end up wiring the return from the tube? To the "G" as you suggested?
acuralegendz

Post by acuralegendz »

jeckardt wrote:That's great news, Acura. How did you end up wiring the return from the tube? To the "G" as you suggested?
Correct

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”