Convert BMPs to paths and Coreldraw

abdo

Convert BMPs to paths and Coreldraw

Post by abdo »

Hello Marco!

So when I use lasercad to draw something, the machine engraves everything really fast.
However, when I load a bitmap, the engraver goes linearly so I was wondering if there's a way to convert drawings to "paths" that lasercad can use. Is CorelDraw capable of doing that?

Also, I tried installing the macro for Corel Draw Graphics suite x6. The installation said it couldn't find Correl draw. The installation worked for an earlier version I had on my computer. (I started getting Corel Draw not found when I uninstalled the old version)

If you can send me the dlls and the .gms, I can place them in the correct folders. Can you send me a zip or a rar file?

Thank you very much!
Toasty

Re: Convert BMPs to paths and Coreldraw

Post by Toasty »

I'm using CorelDraw 10 but all I do is use CorelTrace to make the bitmap into a vector. Or I import the bitmap then do a rough trace of it myself then edit nodes to smooth it.

I believe you can right click an object in later versions and select "Trace Bitmap" or something close to that.

Since I'm not going straight from Corel 10 to lasercad I simply save the vector as an .ai file then import in lasercad.

Works fine on most shapes but you may need to edit nodes to correct any mistakes CorelTrace makes. If you don't know how to edit nodes in CorelDraw you need to do some reading since you'll need it eventually. :D

If it's a complicated shape I sometimes use Inkscape to trace the bitmap (seems to work better than CorelTrace for some things) then copy/paste the result into CorelDraw since that's what I'm used to working with.

CorelDraw is probably the single most important piece of software you'll use when working with a laser engraver, you would be wise to get very proficient at it!
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

abdo:

The macro of current LaserCad doesn't s CorelDraw X6 but up to X5 only. I don't have any dll file available. I'll ask the programmer again

Marco
abdo

Post by abdo »

Thank you very much, @Toasty! Great information there!

All cool, Marco... I'll look for X5 :-)

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”