Help! Is my power supply or tube bad?

hawkinsoft

Help! Is my power supply or tube bad?

Post by hawkinsoft »

All of the sudden today, may Laser stopped working correctly -- The Power Supply 'Sparks' (Or Pops) when I hit the "Laser" button to test (on my DSP Controller).

The Laser doesn't come on.

Is the problem my tube? Or is the issue the power supply?

This is a K40 Laser Cutter with the lightobject DSP I installed a few months ago. Worked perfectly until this issue popped up...

Thanks!
Tech_Marco

Re: Help! Is my power supply or tube bad?

Post by Tech_Marco »

Look like that somewhere on the PS leaking and causing the spark. In my opinion, the PS was gone
Check the connection on the laser tube, it could be a losing connection and cause the spark happening

Marco
hawkinsoft

Post by hawkinsoft »

Well -- I checked the tube, and this is what I saw...

Does that look right to you?

I hit the Laser button and watched the tube, and it looked like there was a spark in the tube...

It looks like one end has come off or something... I dont know what it looked like before b/c in the past the tube just worked.

Please Help! :)

Thanks!
hawkinsoft

Post by hawkinsoft »

Sooo.... any thoughts?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

The tube definitely is gone. The losing part is a water cooling block for the laser mirror. By looking at the picture you posted, the laser tube was not setup properly. The outlet tube should be facing upward. But the tube now is facing side way. So, water bubbles couldn't come out and water couldn't reach the mirror (output). I think this is the reason why the water block was melt and fell

Marco
hawkinsoft

Post by hawkinsoft »

Marco-

I was afraid of that... I didn't set up the tube myself, but bought it very cheaply online -- so sounds like that was part of the problem. :/

I'll be more careful with the next one. Do you think its worth getting a chiller for the pump?

-Justin
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

No you don't need water chiller for this machine. A five gallon water bottle should be fine. If not, just add a water cooled radiator is goo enogh. Don't waste money on the chiller. Not necessary

Marco
hawkinsoft

Post by hawkinsoft »

Thanks Marco! I really appreciate your honest advice and help -- I'll continue to send all my laser seeking friends this way. :)
hawkinsoft

Post by hawkinsoft »

Bad news... SO I got a new laser tube -- and Had the same problem. The power supply would click and the printer would reset when I fired the laser.

So, I thought... power supply bad... and bought a new 40W one from you.

Exact same problem. :(

Any thoughts as to what would be causing that?

Any information you need for me to assist?

Thanks Marco!
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Now you're confusing me. In day one, you said that the laser was no longer power after hearing "click" noise from the PS. Then you post a broken laser tube. But now you said that a pritner reset once power supply fired. I think I need more info from you.
Tell me which part is working and which part is not working. You can test the laser tube/power supply by over-ride . By the way, the power supply has been tested before ship. So, PS must be functioning for sure. YOu may want to look at the back side of the PS as it is 110V/220V switchable

Marco
hawkinsoft

Post by hawkinsoft »

Hi Marco -- Sorry if the series of posts were confusing... here is what's happened / is happening:

Initial Problem:
Laser Cutter turns on, X & Y move fine. Hit the Laser Test button from the DSP - Power supply appears to spark (or click) and printer resets. Hit the test button on the power supply, Power supply appears to spark, no Laser.

Solution Attempt 1: Took picture of laser tube which is obviously broken. Ordered and installed a new laser tube. Problem as described above persists.

Solution Attempt 2: Purchased and Installed a new Power Supply -- I believe it is correctly set to 110V (The switch on the back says 110V). X & Y move fine, hit the Laser Button on the DSP - Power supply appears to spark (or click) and printer resets.

So, The initial problem is still there even with a new tube and power supply -- so its definitely something else. I believe you that the power supply is good - I have a feeling my old one was too since it appears that the problem is still there.

Thoughts?
hawkinsoft

Post by hawkinsoft »

Took a Video of the fail so you could see....

http://youtu.be/cFpvEqPuEmk
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Did you connect the negative wire from the laser power supply to the laser tube?
It look like that you have an "open circuit" where only the Positive terminal was connected.
If you have both wired (+/-) connected to the tube, then you need to check the connection see if it got 'lose' or too closed to the metal case

You better not connect the DSP controller before this issue fixed. It is (the leaking) very bad!

Marco
hawkinsoft

Post by hawkinsoft »

Marco

I'll double check the connections tonight and redo the silicon insulation.

As far as the negative is concerned, I'm using the 40W Power Supply you sell -- should I cut the Green Monster out of the loop?

Right now I go Negative -> Green Monster -> Negative on back of the Power Supply.

And Yes, I've got the DSP Out since I was afraid of it frying.

Thanks!
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

The 'green giant' could be the bad guy! Double check the connection on the monster and the tube see if it is firmly connected. In fact, you can remove the green giant. It is needed only if you have the old power supply (analog with low controlling capability).

Marco

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”