Lite 300*200 X-Y Stages for DIY CO2 Laser

andyslater

Lite 300*200 X-Y Stages for DIY CO2 Laser

Post by andyslater »

Could somebody please tell me the external dimensions of this unit so I can double check that it will fit into my Chinese laser (HX40A).

I would also like to know how I go about mounting the lens and mirror assemblies? I'm in the UK so want to be sure to order everything I need if the assemblies in my machine can't be reused.

While we're here:

1. This product isn't listed in the section for "D/K Small Machine Parts" so while I stumbled across it, I was kinda lucky to do so. It probably ought to be included in that section. :-)

2. Can I suggest you change the name of the product as it implies a 300x200 working area whereas the product blurb says it's 300x220. That extra 20mm is VERY important to me because the issue that I have with my current set-up is that I can't cut an A4 sheet (297x210)... which is obviously a commonly available size for materials. For your customers in the USA, the ability to accommodate US letter size (215.9 mm × 279.4 mm) is probably equally important; making that extra 20mm crucial once again I ignored the 300x200 stage the first couple of times I looked in that product section, thinking that it wasn't big enough... when it turns out that it's exactly what I'm looking for (provided it will fit in my machine).
Tech_Marco

Re: Lite 300*200 X-Y Stages for DIY CO2 Laser

Post by Tech_Marco »

I can only put down the true work area on description and I'm not willing to use it for the title. Think about, when you do search on web or on eBay, how do you search honeycomb to a 300x200 machine, or 6040 machine? So, you will use some key words say "honeycomb 300" or Honeycomb 600. Agreed? But you will never do "Honeycomb 325" or Honeycomb 224.. something like that. I got by "common rule" format.

Workable size is hard to define especailly for bigger machine. The size affected by the type of laser head or the type of XY stages. There is no 'absolute' size for defining the size. So, when I order honeycomb or XY, it's headache time. Again, I go by the common rule.

Marco
andyslater

Post by andyslater »

I understand your reasoning, however my suggestions here were an off-topic aside and my purpose in posting here was to ask two questions to which I still need answers:
andyslater wrote:Could somebody please tell me the external dimensions of this unit so I can double check that it will fit into my Chinese laser (HX40A).

I would also like to know how I go about mounting the lens and mirror assemblies? I'm in the UK so want to be sure to order everything I need if the assemblies in my machine can't be reused.
I now have other questions as a result of your response:

1. I see that the "Lite 300*200 X-Y Stages for DIY CO2 Laser" has a working area of 300 x 220 while the "300X200 Honeycomb" to which you refer actually measures 350 x 220 i.e. it's 50mm longer than the working area of the xy stage. Thus I was assuming that the two were incompatible... but in view of your response: perhaps they can be used together?

2. I'm also looking at the "Power table/ bed kit for K40 small laser machine" but the stated dimensions of 350 x 230 imply that it won't fit within the working area of the Lite "300*200 X-Y Stage". Also the stated working area of 300 x 200 suggests that it can't be used with the 300X200 Honeycomb, and that I would be unable to work a piece of A4 material (297x210) using the power table.

I'm in the UK and observe that shipping costs will be quite significant so it's important to me that I am able to get EVERYTHING that I want in a single order, and be sure that they are going to be compatible when they get here.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Andy:

As I mentioned, it's hard to define the exact dimension of work area. Only custom made stage can do with +/- 5mm. I did order a specail XY stages for one of my customer and he need on so exact in size. It's something like 635mm x 945mm (made up). We have to measure the laser head and the guider in order to make the job possible.

FYI, if a machine is having 300x200 workarea, then the inner space MUST be oversize than the size of the work-area. Remember that the laser head taken space so it must be offset either by getting less work area of making the XY bigger. The honeycomb I'm selling used to be 300mmx200mm but now it is 350mmx220mm. It is prefectly fit into the K40 small laser machine. You can measure the 'inner' area and I can tell you whether the honeycomb should fit or not. Better take a picture and show the dimension

One of mirror mount already installed on the stage. Just open the front covr and replace it. Very straight forward so I'm not going to explain detail here.

By the way, your machine already come with a stage, why want extra one?

Marco
andyslater

Post by andyslater »

Tech_Marco wrote:By the way, your machine already come with a stage, why want extra one?
In the UK it's easy and convenient to buy materials in A4 sheets (297x291mm) but the xy stage in my machine won't allow me to cut that size. You've stated that your Lite 300*200 X-Y Stage was a working area of 300mm x 220mm... which sounds like it would allow me to cut the whole sheet... if I can fit it into my machine.

So I could do with knowing the dimensions indicated in this image:
K40-XY320_500.jpg
K40-XY320_500.jpg (87.32 KiB) Viewed 4700 times
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

I will measure it for you tomorrow

Marco
andyslater

Post by andyslater »

Looking forward to an answer on this when you get chance. :-)
felixlaser

Post by felixlaser »

Seems like 6040 no much more difference with 3020 on price ,So why not bigger?
325 is of course harder to find than 300.
andyslater

Post by andyslater »

felixlaser wrote:Seems like 6040 no much more difference with 3020 on price ,So why not bigger?
325 is of course harder to find than 300.
Ha ha. I've observed and been thinking about the same thing. I wouldn't be able to fit a 6040 stage into my machine's cabinet, but I figure I could cut up the 6040 stage to make a custom stage that uses every last mm of available space within the cabinet, and gives me the maximum possible working area.

I feel however that it would be overkill to do that work if the 3020 stage will give me what I want: the ability to work an entire A4 (297x210) sheet.

Unfortunately I seem to be struggling to get the answers I need. :(
twosoc

Post by twosoc »

Hey Andy from what I can remember your laser was the same as a k40 machine, so the 30x600 should fit if you take out the bulkhead, and create a box for the gubbins. I've just got the 600x400 today and the extreme outer measurements when assembled are 59x79cm.

I've only just assembled it so I've not got so far as to remount the mirrors, (I need my existing laser in working order to make bits for this one) but I was tempter to use the existing mirror mounts until I can afford/get new ones. the laser head mount comes with pre drilled holes so should accept the hex spacers of the original (rapid online do some if you need longer ones )

They were out of stock of the 600x300, I wanted to do exactly the same as you, so I'm creating an mdf box around it instead.
I'm slightly confused why you can't cut A4 on your existing one thought my k40, needed a bit of trimming and adjustment to the extract, but I could comfortably do A4.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

See my measurement.

Marco
Attachments
K40-XY320_500B.jpg
K40-XY320_500B.jpg (65.04 KiB) Viewed 4663 times
andyslater

Post by andyslater »

@Marco: Thanks for that info. It looks like it will just, but only just, fit into my machine. It also looks like it will be fine with an A4 sheet provided that I'm careful about how I mound the head. I'll get Easter hols out of the way and then place an order

twosoc wrote:if you take out the bulkhead
That's an interesting idea that I hadn't considered. However if I can machine an A4 sheet I'm going to be a happy boy so I'm going to go with the 3020 stage.
twosoc wrote:I'm slightly confused why you can't cut A4 on your existing one thought my k40, needed a bit of trimming and adjustment to the extract, but I could comfortably do A4.
I've had a look at pictures of the K40 and although the cabinet appears to be the same, the XY stage in my machine is completely different:
bed.jpg
bed.jpg (54.2 KiB) Viewed 4653 times
That image show it as it came. The honeycomb is only 170x190mm. Removing the honeycomb gives more space but the screws on rise/fall bed prevent an A4 sheet from being loaded. I removed the rise/fall bed as well and replaced it with a pin bed, but even then I had to remove the extractor shroud (you can see it in the picture). Having done that I can load an A4 sheet but I still can't machine all of it (only about 250mm of the 297mm length).

It's got to be 4 or 5 years now since I bought my machine so I guess they've upgraded a few things since then... which would explain why your newer cutter can machine a full A4 sheet while mine can't.

It looks like I have a solution now though. :D
twosoc

Post by twosoc »

Ah, the one I got didn't have an adjustable bed, I had to make do with a piece of mdf under the whole lot to raise it up :)
that white surround looks like it covers up a lot of the space too.
wow safety warning stickers, thats posh. :D
andyslater

Post by andyslater »

twosoc wrote:that white surround looks like it covers up a lot of the space too. :D
The opening that you see in it is 'framed' by sections of aluminium that form the structure of the xy stage; so there's no easy way to modify it to get more usable space.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Remember that the size 9"x14" (228.6mm x 342mm) is the size that you can load object in like the honeycomb. But it doesn't means that it is useful work area. Work area is about 200mm x 300mm. If you're trying to cut something like 220*320, you will get "Beyond size' error

Marco

Return to “D40/K40 small chinese CO2 laser machine”