Q1600D EMI question

audiomath

Q1600D EMI question

Post by audiomath »

I have a RF power application that requires a maximum of 750W of cooling for two modules. The total is 1500W. This is the “absolute maximum” requirement. The operating requirement varies, but will average 60% duty cycle for periods up to five minutes with an average of five minutes between operating periods. Each module is designed for a coolant flow of 1 GPH average of distilled water with up to 20% propylene glycol. The coolant galleys are 6mm ID and the connections are normally made with 8mm ID silicone tubing up to 4M length. Normal coolant temperature under load is 10-25C, no higher than 30C. Total runtime averages 2-3 hours per day.

The LightObject Q1600D chiller looks like it would be a good fit for the application. My question is, though about possible EMI from internal power supplies. Have these units ever been used in a RF/EMI sensitive environment? I’ve tried one other non-refrigerated chiller intended for CO2 laser cooling, and the internal 24-volt switching power supply generates far too much broadband RF noise to be usable.

I understand this wouldn’t be a normal application for this unit, but we’ve had good luck with a smaller refrigerated LightObject cooler that’s installed on our 60W CO2 laser, so I thought I would ask.

Thanks!
Tech_Marco

Re: Q1600D EMI question

Post by Tech_Marco »

There are two 24V power supply in the chiller.
https://www.meanwell.com/productPdf.aspx?i=399
How much noise is too much?
audiomath

Re: Q1600D EMI question

Post by audiomath »

Tech_Marco wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:30 am There are two 24V power supply in the chiller.
https://www.meanwell.com/productPdf.aspx?i=399
How much noise is too much?
Hi Marco,

That's a great question, but a tough one to answer with so many variables.
The non-refrigerated chiller I mentioned puts out over 100uV/meter of garbage at 2mHz and many times that at the SMPS switching frequency. That is completely unacceptable. It uses a very inexpensive 24V SMPS that has no US FCC acceptance, though.

If the Q1600D uses the Meanwell power supplies you supplied the data sheets for, I think there's a good chance it would be ok, especially if we choke the power feed and nearby conductors. Meanwell is an excellent company. I've used their PSUs for many years with good results.

I'll review the Q1600D specs again today, and assuming there's no apparent issues I'll order a unit to test. Thanks for the excellent support!

Return to “Temperature Controller”