Thermocouple hookup?

doyal

Thermocouple hookup?

Post by doyal »

Hello everyone! New member here and already with a question... I bought a K-type thermocouple and a JLD-612 Controller, I need help to which terminals do I use to attache the two lead wires to. Got 5 Studs on one side and 4 on the other side of the Controller.....what I want to do is to us it with an adhesive backed heating tape which comes with 2 wire leads.
Tech_Marco

Re: Thermocouple hookup?

Post by Tech_Marco »

Red(+) connect to the terminal #9 and Blue() connect to the terminal #10
That's all you have to do with a K type thermocouple. Don't forget to program the controller for the K type or it will show "EEE.E"
doyal

Post by doyal »

Thanks a bunch for the info....just one more thing...where does the threaded end of the thermocouple goes? I am still a little confused on that!
baccus61

Post by baccus61 »

(If this is the sensor I am thinking of)
The threaded end has the bi-metal piece that sensors the temperature and it usually goes into the furnace where the heat is and the two wires extend out from that to the controller.
Rich.
doyal

Post by doyal »

Yes it is,,,,,and I may have bought the wrong thermocouple....I think I may need the thermocouple with a two lead wires to connect to a silicone rubber adhesive backed strip heater to keep a even temperature under a flat food tray!
Have any idea which thermocouple would that be to use?

doyal
doyal

Post by doyal »

Sorry! don't know what I was thinking here,,,,must be the Arizona heat! Guess I need just a long sensor wire coming off the thermocouple...the food tray is about 5' long....
tmorris9

Post by tmorris9 »

All of the thermocouple types only read the temperature at 1 point. They do make long probe types but the temperature is read right at the tip, not along the full length. You need to figure out the best place to take the temperature from then just make the thermocouple touch that spot.

The main difference in them is the mounting type. The one you got is designed to be screwed into a hole. Google thermocouple then click on "images" at the top of the screen. This will give you a visual look at some different ones. You might want one that is just a bare sensor with no case, it will have 2 wires going to a small round metal end about half the size of a BB.

The end is delicate, that is why they are normally put into a metal case of one type or another.

Hope this helps!
baccus61

Post by baccus61 »

Maybe you could have a tray of water underneath the tray of food. If you are just keeping food hot then that would be the best way as it would be even heat throughout and quite easy to measure the temp with a normal thermocouple. Bain Marie style.
I have included a file/picture with the different types of thermocouples you can get.
I use the K type for my furnace as it goes way up near the melting point of steel and is just right for heat treatment and finding out when it is a good time to pour Aluminium. Really hot if doing small intricate pieces or just melted for large bits without much detail.

I think your best bet would be the J type as it is readily available.
Rich.
Attachments
Thermocouple types.gif
Thermocouple types.gif (7.48 KiB) Viewed 2784 times

Return to “Temperature Controller”