Faulty JLD612 ?

desmo001

Faulty JLD612 ?

Post by desmo001 »

I'm fairly certain I have a defective JLD612 but wanted to check with the forum for consensus.

- Using for sous vide cooker.
- Wired with a Type K thermocouple and programmed correctly (InP = k)
- Using an SSR (CtL = 001), polarity is correct
- Powered by AC 110V
- Not overheating

The PV reading (actual temperature) jumps around randomly and rarely displays the actual value. With no power flowing (SSR disconnected) and the thermocouple in the air, the reading will vary from 110°F to 50°F, jumping around randomly every few seconds.

I tried multiple thermocouples and have verified them using a different reader. The problem is present all the time... not just when power is flowing or when the TC is submerged (Inconel sheath, grounded TC from Omega... no chance of water causing a problem). The final nail in the coffin is that the sous vide cooker works fine when I replaced the JLD612 with an AGPtek TA4 controller using the same TC, same wiring, etc. Cooked dinner with it last night in fact.

I'm getting ready to return the JLD612 but told the gentleman at Lightobject that I would post in the forum first to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Side note - the AGPtek unit might actually be better for my intended use anyway... it was only $20 and more importantly will display tenths of a degree Fahrenheit when using a Type K thermocouple.

Thanks,
desmo001
richiem

Re: Faulty JLD612 ?

Post by richiem »

Yep -- I only observe that the wiring of a thermocouple can be confusing -- the plus wire goes to terminal 9 and the minus wire goes to terminal 10, no connection to terminal 8. If that's what you've got, then the controller is toast.

Return to “Temperature Controller”