JLD-612 not turning off output when hitting target temp

Gordon McQuillin

JLD-612 not turning off output when hitting target temp

Post by Gordon McQuillin »

I have just wired up a JLD-612 to use as a controller for Sous Vide and making yogurt. I am using a smaller crockpot as the heater, which is plugged into an outlet that is controlled by a PT100 thermocouple off of the PID and powered through the SSR.

I have the temps set to F, IntY set to PT10.0, and the OutY is set to 2.

When set to a SV of 100, it ramps up to 100, then continues to show the output light bliinking occasionally showing that it's still powering the outlet that run the crockput, and it runs up to 114ish and stays around there.

I hAve had it on auto tune for the last 24 hours, and it still is running with AT lit, and the Out led still blinks occasionally.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Gordon

Tech_Marco

Re: JLD-612 not turning off output when hitting target temp

Post by Tech_Marco »

Gordon:

When you did the "Auto tune", was it a closed loop system, means that the heater must be connected in the system and powered during auto tuning?
If you just did that on the PID controller without the heater, the Auto Tune won't work and will keep blanking forever. If that is the case, then you have to do it again. The Auto Tune may take over 24hrs and it will stop after done.

Marco
Gordon McQuillin

Tech_Marco wrote:Gordon:

When you did the "Auto tune", was it a closed loop system, means that the heater must be connected in the system and powered during auto tuning?
If you just did that on the PID controller without the heater, the Auto Tune won't work and will keep blanking forever. If that is the case, then you have to do it again. The Auto Tune may take over 24hrs and it will stop after done.

Marco
Yup, everything was plugged in, and running.(Crockput was set to high instead of low, should that make any difference?)

I will continue to let us run over night, so it should be at about 32 hours tomorrow morning. At what point should I go ahead and turn off the AT if it continues running?

Thanks!
Gordon McQuillin

Well, it's been another 10 hours now, and it AT is still lit, the output still flashes, and if anything it's another degree or two hotter. running at 116.5f right now.

Any suggestions? At 15degrees +/- abover my target temps, this is unusable right now.

Are there any other calibration settings I can try if AT is not going to work?

Gordon
Gordon McQuillin

Well it's been 48 hours now, the temp keeps slowly rising up to 116.5 when I finally turned it off.

Do I need to RMA this unit, or are there any other tests / settings I can try?

Gordon
Gordon McQuillin

Ok, in doing some more reading, I see a post that is similar to mine, and it's possible that I was setting AT he wrong way.

Instead of holding down set, I am using > now, and we'll see if that doesn't fix the issue.

Stay tuned for an update after I try this.

Cheers!

Gordon
Gordon McQuillin

Looks like that worked! Took about two hours, but it completed the auto tune.

Will give it a test drive tomorrow and see how it does.

Cheers!

Gordon
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

I noticed that you have used wrong "Auto Tune" because the controller was showing the 'A bar' symbol. I was busy so I didn't reply you on time. Glad that you figured it out. I don't see the reason why it won't work. The JLD612 seldom got defective. I'll say, less than 0.5%

Marco
Gordon McQuillin

Yup, clearly this was a RTFM issue for me. Once I used the correct button to start the auto tune it did so in about 2 hours. I will be running it tonight to see how it works, but I expect no issues.

It might be helpful to make a post about using the right start for auto tune, as it looks like it's running correctly when you initialize it wrong. I am sure others might make the same mistake I did, as the manual kind of glosses over that setup.

Thanks again!

Gordon
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

If you look at the manual, the way to enable the Auto Tune is pretty well explained. Even though if I posted it again here, it's not easy for other folks to find the post anyway. As matter of fact, I'm sure there are many posts did mention it already.

Marco
Gordon McQuillin

Ya, it is explained briefly in the manual, and it was clearly my fault for doing it wrong. Just thought maybe someone could benefit from my mistake. :)

Gordon

Return to “Temperature Controller”