JLD614 ... Can it work as a on/off or a thermostat?

jjones3570

JLD614 ... Can it work as a on/off or a thermostat?

Post by jjones3570 »

Hi, I'm back with another question, ofc. I have an older kiln that it 38 amps total, with 4 elements. I am driving these elements with 4, 25 amp SSR's. And All I want to do is, with a type K tc, is enter a temperature value and let it reach it and then cut off, or quit heating. This is for a ceramic kiln, low fire (below 2000d/f) with some high fire (above 2000 d/f). Ramp / hold is not important for this kiln as I have another that can do that.

Can the jld614 power 4 SSR's? and if the controller is capable of being an on/off switch or just a thermostat, then when answering this post please keep instructions simple.

Thanks in advanced for your time.

Jay
dderemer

Re: JLD614 ... Can it work as a on/off or a thermostat?

Post by dderemer »

I am intrested in the very same subject but have an additional problem.
I need to Keep a small chamber at 40C with a SSR connected to 48v dc fans. (I am burning in equipement 12hrs)

The internal relays worked fine and holds 40c plus/minsus 1 degree, but they cycled very freqently and I don't think they would last long.

The ssr starts at -2.5v at room temp. When the temp hits SV the volage goes to +9v
The -2 volts is keeping the relay on.

What to do?
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

jjones3570 wrote:Hi, I'm back with another question, ofc. I have an older kiln that it 38 amps total, with 4 elements. I am driving these elements with 4, 25 amp SSR's. And All I want to do is, with a type K tc, is enter a temperature value and let it reach it and then cut off, or quit heating. This is for a ceramic kiln, low fire (below 2000d/f) with some high fire (above 2000 d/f). Ramp / hold is not important for this kiln as I have another that can do that.

Can the jld614 power 4 SSR's? and if the controller is capable of being an on/off switch or just a thermostat, then when answering this post please keep instructions simple.

Thanks in advanced for your time.

Jay

The JLD614 is identical to JLD612 in regard to the internal circuitry. The output of SSR is 8V DC and it suport up to 40mA. So, it can drive two SSR and I don't more than two SSSR should be placed in parallel. But I'll test it and will post what I found here.

In case it's not, I'm thinking that a simple driver can be used to drive 4 SSR with a small power NPN transistor.

Marco
jjones3570

Post by jjones3570 »

what about the operation of the controller itself? this is what I am most interested in, If I can't get the thing to cut off at my desired temp, then I am left to only buy a three button kiln controller from Bartlette, which is the industry standard, but it is like $150.00. so being as cheap as I am I would opt to use the jld6114.

Thanks
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Of course the controller can do the cut-off when temperature reach the SV. I'm not exactly sure what the operation you need but I'm sure you it work, either through a SSR or using internal relay for cut-off (exact point!).

Note, the SSR output is 'fluctuate', the output act like a series of 'pulse' when the temperature getting closed to the desired temperature (SV). The temperatue on the klin could be going up a little higher than the SV then set back under the SV, and then up again, .... until it reach the SV.

If you want the heater to STOP at exact SV, the you need to use the alaram relay J1 or J2 to in conjunction with the SSR to make is a "cut off" switch like controller. But doing so, you better to have an external and bigger relay to handle high current going through the heating element. The build-in relay can hanel up to 3A only.

Marco
richiem

Post by richiem »

Hi -- seems like you want a one-time control, that is you want it to reach a set temp and shut off and stay off. The controller won't do that, but you can use a simple timer relay to achieve this by putting it in series with the power to the controller. You know already I'm sure roughly how long it takes the kiln to reach temp and to then cool down. Just set the timer to a period longer than it takes the kiln to heat to your desired temp, and use the HY function to be sure that the turn-on temp of the controller is say half the set value temp -- this is described in the manual. Then, before the kiln cools enough to turn the controller back on, the timer will shut everything down.

Return to “Temperature Controller”