DSP CONTROL table size

rodmdxx

DSP CONTROL table size

Post by rodmdxx »

Hi all
I am waiting for my 2012 dsp card and I was just wondering what is the biggest table size you can set in the software
Tech_Marco

Re: DSP CONTROL table size

Post by Tech_Marco »

Technically speaking, there is no limitation. It let you to program the size of the X-Y table

Marco
baccus61

Post by baccus61 »

If you are going to have a really big table then you will need a collimating lens assembly to get the beam path straight with very little divergence for the long lengths. Marco sells some of the cheapest ones around on this website. Just work out if you need a 2x or 3x.
Most lasers in our price range have an output beam of between 4-5 mm in size so if you go bigger in the expansion of the beam you will need bigger mirrors and a bigger lens assembly.
The wider the beam is when going through the lens the smaller the spot size you can get which also gives a better energy density at the focal point. This also REDUCES the thickness you can cut due to the kerf being more hour glasses shaped so a long focal length lens is needed to get a bit of depth of cut back. Somewhere around 60-100mm. The table then needs to either be moveable up and down or your lens assembly need to be able to be adjusted to focus on different material thicknesses.

This will give you better quality engravings if you use a small focal length lens like 1", if that is what you will use it for.

Also you will need a heap of RAM in your computer to be able to process large file sizes. Win 32 is limited to 3.4 Gig of Ram so if you want to go bigger then you will need to go up to WIN7 with 64 Bit memory BUT I don't think the PHCad programs work in a 64 bit environment so you will be limited to 3.4 Gig.

A fast computer helps also.

If the laser is really big then you will probably have to mount the laser on the gantry itself and that brings other issues of vibration and weight that could damage the laser assembly.

How big are you thinking of?

Rich.
rodmdxx

Post by rodmdxx »

the table size of my machine is 1200mm by 800mm I have made the table go up and down I have 250mm travel

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”