CO2 laser tube with US Custom Clearance Problem

Tech_Marco

CO2 laser tube with US Custom Clearance Problem

Post by Tech_Marco »

I just shipped two 150W long life span Co2 laser tube and a 150W PS to a customer in US from my office in China. Unfortunately, it's blocked by the US Custom. It's not clear why would they place a hold on the shipment as it's not the 1st time I shipped Co2 laser tube to States! The ding Custom really got no reason to hold on the shipment as CO2 laser tube is legal to import for OEM product manufacturing. The tube is pretty long, 1.8M (6ft+) and considered as over size package. The longer they keep it there, the more chance they may break it. And it will cost thousands to replace it! You may be crying if I told you how much it cost to ship a tube in that size to US. It's $450, not including packing materials or labor fee. The actual weight of the tube and package should be less than 25lb+ Well it's not the worst senerio though, it cost over $550 to ship to Brazil or Italy!

I hope my customer can get the tubes soon. I really don't know what else I can do here. Any feedback? FYI, I have a FDA certificate for Co2 laser tube and it's on the record of DHL and I have no problem since I submitted it to DHL the 1st time I ordered CO2 laser tube. But, the fact is that we don't have to provide FDA for laser tube, don't we? FDA certificate should be required for a completed CO2 engraving machine, isn't it :?:
baccus61

Re: CO2 laser tube with US Custom Clearance Problem

Post by baccus61 »

When I bought my RF laser from America it cost me over $730 to send through DHL and then I had to pay another 10% on top because it was a "Service" We have a " Goods and Services " tax here so we end up paying twice sometimes.
Then there was the 10% Customs Duty on top.
Fed-Ex doesn't seem to be nearly as expensive as DHL.

Rich.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

What a release to me, the tubes pass the clearance check and delivered to my customer! But it's been delayed for 7 days and it may cost my customer 2~4% duty tax. Lucky I declear with my cost rather than the selling price. So, the bill shouldn't be high enough to cause a 'heart attack'. Now it's more clear that as long as the customer is holding a business license with EIN number, then they should have no trouble to receive a laser tube for oem production.
mafil25

Post by mafil25 »

they're charging a 6% duty tax. we've never had to pay that before on imported tubes. any idea why now, is this something new, or something that was supposed to be charged the whole time? it came out to $208.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

I think it all depends on the price of the tube. I sold many 40W and 60W and none of my customer reported that they have been taxed. Those tubes were standard type with 1500hrs and cost $300 to $500 (w/o shipping).

I think it's under certain amount (say $800) the US Custom will let it go. In your case, you bought two HQ laser tube (10,000hrs) and a 150W CO2 power supply, and invoice price was over $3,500. That may trigger a flag to the Custom. If you just ordered one, than the shipping cost is not cost effective though. By the way, I did offer you $550 discount for the deal by offer you a free 150W PS. The combined shipment (we re-packed it and it cost us over $100) and the free PS save you $850 at least. On my website, I did made it clear that buyer responsible for the duty tax. And I did my best by not to declare $5500 full price. If so, there would be another $120 hit. Or you saved $970 in total.

The big deal is that the HQ laser tube you received will give you a much better power (at least 25% more than a standard tube) and it last at least 8000hrs or 10,000hrs max. The less divergence from the light beam let you cut things faster. When you order next time, I see if there is some goodies that I can offer to compensate the tax you paid

;)
mafil25

Post by mafil25 »

well that was my boss that purchased them from you, I'm the one building/working on the machines. he had asked me to ask you about it for future reference with it. also wanted to ask you about some power loss we're having at about 12-15 ft . we're getting 125 out of one tube, and by the time it reaches the farthest corner it's at about 75. that's also 4 mirrors, and that's not with your power supply, the one with your power supply gets 134 watts at the tube, haven't set up the mirrors with that one though. the closest gets 115 and the other 2 both get 105 watts, any ideas on the power loss. how might we be able to recover some of the loss.
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

Power output range can be affected by so many factors. I'm not an expert and I can't tell you all the possibility. But there are two main factors can make the difference significant. 1) the compatibility of the power supply and the laser tube. Note, not all the CO2 power supply are the same and it affect the power rating out of your expectation. 100W CO2 power supply may give full power of a tube but it may not work for other kind laser tube. Each power supply output high frequency pulse . The frequency of the pulse is crucial.
2) the type of reflection lens used. There are at lease three different kinds of reflection mirror: gold plated, Si, and MO. Reflection from gold plated and Si is very good where MO reflection index is less than the first two. But the melting point of MO is higher and mostly used for 100W or higher power laser tube. Gold plated should be used for 40W machine and Si should be used for 60W to 100W in general.

It's clear that your power supply is not compatible to those two laser tube you justp purchased. The tube rate 130W~150W and you get 135W from our PS is normal. How much current (mA) you recorded?

Again, I'm not an expert and I hope someone can help.

Marco
maralb

Post by maralb »

this and a Reci laser communication
http://www.recilaser.com/2010/en_news/2011-1-18.html

I to want to acquire a new tube, like knowing if and version 2010 or 2011?
thank
Tech_Marco

Post by Tech_Marco »

I don't think there is any change on those tube. There are 80W,100W,130W,... up to 180W available. Which one do you have in mind?
Attachments
CO2_Tube.jpg

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”