Motor driver voltage and holding power

awrdbob

Motor driver voltage and holding power

Post by awrdbob »

I am seeing that motor drivers have a suggested voltage range of operation. For example, I have seen the Leadshine 3DM580 driver specifications that indicate “Voltage: Min 18V Typical: 36V Max: 50V DC” (A posted Lightobject spec.)

Then, elsewhere on the Internet, I see (other manufacturer) motor drivers with a “18 to 80vdc” operational range.

I have read “Stepper motors work faster and have stronger holding power at higher voltages but higher voltages can result in over heating the motor.” (A miscellaneous Internet article I ran across at some point.) And that I am not seeing motor specifications that include a suggested maximum voltage limit.

My personal experience with electric motors (different industry) is that motors tend to overheat when the load (on the motor) is greater than it (the motor) was designed for. If a motor is overheating, it suggests that you need a more powerful motor for that particular load.

Is it true that there is “. . . stronger holding power . . .” when a motor is operated at a higher (within the suggested range) voltage?

Does anyone find this viewpoint to be logically “on point”?

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”