Laser Power Supply output tuning?

Spleen

Laser Power Supply output tuning?

Post by Spleen »

Currently using a 100w tube at 28ma. An issue I've been curious about is keeping that current nice and steady for tube life. but for whatever reason my power supply puts out 28 at about "44 power" so I have that set as max. The minimum where it arcs cleanly is 16 power. This actually leaves a pretty narrow window of power settings. I do a fair amount of engraving and basically don't bother using this machine for it. I have other lasers that let me use 10-100 power and get the correct scaled current output for that. (100 power being max for the tube). I'd like a little more granularity on the 100w, although it is hardly a show stopper.

Can I manually resistor half the current, then run the LPSU at 90ish power? I see some kinds of laser PSUs have a trim pot on or inside the case.

I'm using the LPSU that came with my Lightobject 960.
fnaranjob

Re: Laser Power Supply output tuning?

Post by fnaranjob »

Spleen wrote:Currently using a 100w tube at 28ma. An issue I've been curious about is keeping that current nice and steady for tube life. but for whatever reason my power supply puts out 28 at about "44 power" so I have that set as max. The minimum where it arcs cleanly is 16 power. This actually leaves a pretty narrow window of power settings. I do a fair amount of engraving and basically don't bother using this machine for it. I have other lasers that let me use 10-100 power and get the correct scaled current output for that. (100 power being max for the tube). I'd like a little more granularity on the 100w, although it is hardly a show stopper.

Can I manually resistor half the current, then run the LPSU at 90ish power? I see some kinds of laser PSUs have a trim pot on or inside the case.

I'm using the LPSU that came with my Lightobject 960.
I don't know about that specific LPSU but the reci's and EFR's have a pot (small screw on one side) that adjusts current, you can use that.
Spleen

Re: Laser Power Supply output tuning?

Post by Spleen »

fnaranjob wrote:I don't know about that specific LPSU but the reci's and EFR's have a pot (small screw on one side) that adjusts current, you can use that.
On my order form it just says "100W LPSU" so I have no way of knowing without digging around. I'll look for that trim pot next time I'm in there.

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”