hooking up the 100ma amp meter to laser

mixer911

hooking up the 100ma amp meter to laser

Post by mixer911 »

Ok, so I am confused.

I have the LO 100ma 3 digit meter http://www.lightobject.com/3-digit-Mini ... -P457.aspx

I want to mount it on the front panel with all the controls, but it is about 10 ft of wire to get it there. Can I just wire from the - Neg of the laser tune and run it to the front of the gantry? Is there any risk of shock by doing that? and what size wire should I use and does it have to be the HI VOLT wire like is used on the neg of the power supply? This meter just has what looks like 22-24 ga wire on it.

Thanks!
Things

Re: hooking up the 100ma amp meter to laser

Post by Things »

As long as there is no possibility of the wire becoming detached from the laser power supply, it'll be fine. I'd try route the wires as far away from other wires and electronics as possible, just for safety, but in reality as long as you don't run it in the same cable tray, it should be fine.
mixer911

Post by mixer911 »

Things wrote:As long as there is no possibility of the wire becoming detached from the laser power supply, it'll be fine. I'd try route the wires as far away from other wires and electronics as possible, just for safety, but in reality as long as you don't run it in the same cable tray, it should be fine.

Thanks! Just wanted to be sure.

enjoyed your videos by the way. They were part of the reason I got the gantry I did ;) Sorry you had to get rid of it.
bellais

Post by bellais »

I have the same amp meter. I still don't understand how to hook it up though. Should I connect the negative (white) wire to the green wire on this meter?

Thanks.
Raman Narayan

Post by Raman Narayan »

The meter seems to work with either connection(does not seem to be direction
sensitive). I would strongly suggest running the meter from a separate battery box, that
is not sharing any power from the laser controllers power supply. In the worst case
the meter will be the only one going faulty(not the controllers power supply, or even the
controller itself-high voltage can fry things in a snap of a nano second). I mounted it by
drilling a hole on the top panel then using a separate plastic box to mount it and just added
two magnets and some hot glue to hold the meter in place. The power is from a duracell
usb battery box with a switch(supposedly used to power usb devices with AA batteries).
Hope you find it helpful.

-Raman

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”