"Gonna need a bigger bed"

twosoc

"Gonna need a bigger bed"

Post by twosoc »

Hey all, I've just taken the plunge and bought a bigger bed. I've gone for the 400*600 as the 300 wasn't in stock and I need a bigger bed for a job I've got on. Now, my original plan was to create an electics box and tack it to the side of my k40, take out the loose bulkhead and run the 300x600 in the original case. as it was geared for 300x300. Now I'm gonna have to rethink it.

I'm really pushed for time and I'm not sure I can get a steel case made in the time it takes to do this job and to do the work, I only have until the end of june. So my next thought was would it be ok to make one out of MDF for a temporary measure? I know lasers and wooden cases, aren't necessarily the best combo but has anyone had any problems if they've done the same thing?

I was thinking of putting a sheet of steel from an old tumble drier under the bed so any stray laser (if it passes through my sub bed) will hit the steel and not the frame.

I can get anything between 12 and 25mm mdf really easily, so there would be no problems with flex or warpage.

Anyone have any thoughts or am I opening myself for a world of hurt?
Cheers, Tim.
baccus61

Re: "Gonna need a bigger bed"

Post by baccus61 »

A wooden bed or frame wouldn't be a problem as long as your laser beam stays on target. The only problem you will have is when the wood swells and sends the beam out of alignment. I still have a wooden top on my table and don't have too much of a problem with it.
I do have to align a bit more than if the table was steel though.
I say go for it but put a piece of steel plate under where the laser goes through the work piece.
Rich.
twosoc

Post by twosoc »

Yeah I was worried about swelling a bit, thought I might seal it before assembly though. It hopefully only has to hold up for a few months, this job might pay for a new case. I was thinking of using the sheet steel as a crumb catcher tray, two jobs at once.
Things

Post by Things »

I'd highly recommend avoiding building your whole machine out of steel if you can. Might not be an issue for a smaller machine, but the weight adds up _fast_. One of the reasons I had to sell my larger machine was I couldn't even lift the bare frame by itself, let alone with everything in it and side panels :(
twosoc

Post by twosoc »

hmm, thats a good point. Might see how well this one performs, if there are no real issues, I might stick with it. the stages turn up tomorrow, so we'll see what I can make :)

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”