XLE 900*1200 X-Y build started

onelonedork

XLE 900*1200 X-Y build started

Post by onelonedork »

My parts showed up on Friday and I've just started to assemble the X-Y stage. Hopefully I'll have the electronics tested out tomorrow night. Build quality is great and It's very easy to put together. The work area is huge, It's hard to imagine how big something this size is until you put it together. I almost went with the XLE 1200*1800 X-Y Stage but I don't think I'd have had enough room by the time I managed to build a case around it.

I'll post some more photos once I have the electronics installed. Then I just have to wait on the extrusion to mount the 80 watt tube.

Anyone have any recommendations on mounting this thing in a case? Also, has anyone considered using a couple of these Labe jacks for the z stage? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EM ... g=dfn0c-20
Attachments
DIY laser build  (1 of 1).jpg
DIY laser build (1 of 1).jpg (538.36 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
onelonedork

Re: XLE 900*1200 X-Y build started

Post by onelonedork »

Started building the box for the XLE 900*1200. I'm not very good at welding so a wood case seemed like an easier option. With the master help of my friend Chris I was able to get this far in the frame build. If all goes well we should have the frame completed and the laser mounted by the end of the weekend.

I'll post some more pictures and the project progresses.
Attachments
Laser table (3 of 1).jpg
Laser table (3 of 1).jpg (414.77 KiB) Viewed 2753 times
mixer911

Post by mixer911 »

Looking good! You are right about the 1200*1800 gantry, it is HUGE. But size is relative to what you cut. For me it will allow more production pieces to be cut at one time.

following you build!
onelonedork

Post by onelonedork »

Should have some more photos up on Friday. Just got the plexiglass in and waiting on the lift assist arms. Once I get the frame set in place, i'll have a lot more photos to post.

I'll have to see if I can get this unit to pay for itself before I think about a 1200*1800 gantry. I work mostly with 2' x 4' sheets on my cnc table. Hopefully the laser will speed up 2d cuts on 1/4 inch material. Can't wait to start testing it out.
baccus61

Post by baccus61 »

If you are going to use a scissor jack then also think about putting 2 full ball drawer slides running vertically at the back of the table to stop any sideways movement from the quick action of the X axis.
This is how I will build my next table.
Rich.
Things

Post by Things »

Nice! I know what you mean about those XY stages being huge. I ordered one of the first sets before they were released, and did a review of them on these forums somewhere, but unfortunately I had to sell them off as it was too large for my new garage :(

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”