Can a laser cutter with LO DSP really match the quality?

Jim brown

Can a laser cutter with LO DSP really match the quality?

Post by Jim brown »

Can a laser cutter with LO DSP really match the quality of the U.S. commercially made ones?
Also, can a laser cutter cut fleece fabric?
liaoh75

Re: Can a laser cutter with LO DSP really match the quality?

Post by liaoh75 »

Forum members, If I'm wrong, please correct me. This has been the question for me as well. I personally have found the Light Object DSP to be an excellent controller. It does have a few issues here and there. I believe most of those issues are things that will eventually get worked out as my experience with Marco has been very good. I believe the issues on my machine is due to my own mechanical problems and I'm also venturing out into new territory as I don't know of anyone using Yaskawa Sigma 5 servos on their machines.

A laser cutter's cut or engraving quality must be taken in relationship with all the components not just the controller. If you have good components and correct settings, a laser cutter with the Light Object DSP can hold its own against most lasers out there. A DSP setup with a wobbly out of square x-y stage could make a cheap E-bay laser look good in comparison but that isn't the fault of the DSP. Its doing its job. The rest of the machine isn't.

In comparison to a machine like Epilog, I could say that Epilog is a better setup for most people that don't want to deal with making their own machines and fixing your own problems and tweaking unit everything is perfect. However, your pocketbook will be significantly lighter after purchasing a turn key solution from Epilog. I think their software is more user friendly as well and has a slightly more shallow learning curve.

If you are comparing to Full Spectrum Lasers, well then its a completely different story. I have a friend that has one of their new machines that has a bottom that can open. I can tell you that the Lightobject DSP is a more developed controller. You can readup on a lot of the issues if you start digging. Their machines are for the most part assembled in the U.S. but a number of their components are Chinese Imports. I will have to say that they do put in quite a bit of money into the R&D of their Retinaengrave controller.

I have looked into the Testra controller as well and spoken on the phone with two of their users and their impression has been positive. However, be ready to shell out about four times the money. The one thing I do like about their controller is the fact the step drivers are integrated in their package and the software is print driver based. I haven't used it personally so I can't honestly say more about it.

I will conclude in saying that I'm sticking with the Light Object DSP for many reasons, but the primary reason is because of the man at the helm (Marco) is trust worthy and really takes the time to help you out if you are in a jam. Also, the members on this forum really makes working with the LO DSP a pleasant experience. The support side which can't be under stated is worth more to me than an excellent product with minimal support. Good Luck to you and I hope this helps you in your decision making process.

David
liaoh75

Re: Can a laser cutter with LO DSP really match the quality?

Post by liaoh75 »

I forgot to address your question about cutting fabric. Yes it can and it does so beautifully! With PPI enabled and nitrogen for air assist, the cut looks like it was done with sheers.

Return to “CO2 Laser Discussion”